TCS Women is a new community for women researchers in Theoretical Computer Science (TCS) and related areas. The main objectives of TCS Women are
- to provide a platform for women in Theoretical Computer Science to connect with other women who share some of the same research interests,
- to help women succeed in their professional endeavors and
- to help make the TCS community discrimination-free and welcoming to everyone.
I can testify that she is a great mathematician, but that she is a woman, I cannot swear. — Edmund Landau (1877-1938), when asked whether Emmy Noether was a great female mathematician.
Inaugural TCS Women Meeting:
Our first TCS Women meeting will be part of STOC 2018 Theory Fest: 50th Annual ACM Symposium on the Theory of Computing . The meeting is organized by Sofya Rashondnikova (Boston University), Barna Saha (University of Massachusetts Amherst) and Virginia Vassilevska Williams (MIT).
The program will consist of a panel of distinguished women researchers in the field of TCS, a women’s lunch and a research rump session.
TCS Women will also be providing travel scholarships to junior women researchers to attend STOC. These scholarships are made possible by the generous support from Google, Microsoft and the NSF. All women graduate students without available travel funding are encouraged to apply. Preference will be given to beginning graduate students (in their 1st and 2nd year). It is not required to have a paper in STOC in order to be eligible for funding. Those selected for funding are encouraged to present a poster in one of the poster sessions of STOC.
- Date: June 26th, 2018
- Venue: Los Angeles, CA as part of STOC Theory Fest
- Organizers: Sofya Rashodnikova (BU), Barna Saha (UMass Amherst), Virginia Vassilevska Williams (MIT)
- TCS Women Travel Scholarship: To apply, you need to fill out the following form by May 10, 2018 in which you provide basic information about yourself, an estimate of your expenses, and a brief statement: Apply for a travel grant here. In addition, you will need to have your advisor (or department head if you do not yet have an advisor) send a letter of support to email@example.com by May 10, 2018 with the subject line “support letter for [your name]”. Your advisor’s letter should have also describe the availability of other travel funds. This is very important. Your application is not complete without this letter. Late applications (after May 10, 2018) will not be accepted. You will be notified about your status by May 15 which is prior to the June 1 STOC early registration deadline and hotel cut-off date. Notes: Receipts will be required for all travel awards, and reimbursements will be made after the conference. Food or visa expenses will not be reimbursed. While the exact funding amount may vary (depending on factors such as the number of applications), we expect that the travel grants will be about $500 for students from North America, and $750 for students from overseas.
- TCS Women Sponsors: